Features of our products?
- It biodegrades in natural environment within 180 days
- It can be safely used in microwave and refrigerator, and can withstand temperatures ranging from -20C to 120C
- It is oil and water resistant
- It’s production process is pollution free
- This has been internationally certified that it does not cause any damage to the soil or environment after bio-degradation
- Once it has been used, it rapidly biodegrades in soil and converts into plant food
- It does not involve any chemical treatment and is totally healthy, non-toxic and harmless
- The sizes and shapes can be modified as per the customer’s requirement
- It evolves from nature and goes back to nature
- It has a strong and sturdy structure, which redefines the essence of consumption
Cornstarch Products : Features and Benefits
- PLA stands for Poly Lactic Acid and is the chemical name of a plastic made from corn, an annually renewable resource.
- 100% Biodegradable and Compostable
- At the end of life, PLA based products can be recycled or composted under commercial composting conditions. 90% within 60 days and the balance within 90 days.
PLA is highly transparent when unmodified, and off white when modified. PLA plastics look and act like the traditional petroleum base plastics (PS, PP and PET) but are very environmental friendly
How long does PLA take to biodegrade in a landfill
PLA is fully compostable and biodegradable. In commercial composting conditions, PLA will compost in approximately 30-45 days. Composting may take longer in a home composting bin. PLA will react in landfills like other organic waste such as food.
Even more info on PLA
It is important that PLA compares well with other popular plastics already used for packaging. It is clear and naturally glossy like HIPS and PET used in “blister packs, lids, containers and many others products. PLA is resistant to moisture and grease. It has taste and odor barrier characteristics similar to the popular plastic polyethylene terephthalate (PET) used for soft drinks bottles, trays and many other food products packaging. Tensile strength and modulus of elasticity of PLA is also comparable to PET.
PLA can be formulated to be either rigid or flexible and can be co-polymerized with other materials. Polylactic acid can be made with different mechanical properties suitable for specific manufacturing processes, such as injection molding, sheet extrusion, blow molding, thermoforming, film forming and fiber spinning. New improved and modified the PLA resins have been developed leading to our PLA products having better strength, higher heat-resistance and a nicer appearance. Products made from normal PLA resin have a lower heat- resistant temperature, and traditionally they could only be used for cold food. Now a modified PLA (C-PLA) resin has been developed which has high heat-resistant temperature. The products made from C-PLA resin could be used for hot food/drink. Their heat- resistant temperature can be up to 85°C.
How Is PLA made? (Let’s get technical)
The starting material for polylactic acid is starch from a renewable resource such as corn. Corn is milled, which separates starch from the raw material. Unrefined dextrose is then processed from the starch. Dextrose is turned into lactic acid using fermentation, similar to that used by beer and wine producers.
Turning the lactic acid into a polymer plastic takes some specialized chemistry. Through a chemical process called condensation, two lactic acid molecules are converted into one cyclic molecule called a lactide. This lactide is purified through vacuum distillation. A solvent-free melt process causes the ring-shaped lactide polymers to open and join end-to-end to form long chain polymers. A wide range of products that vary in molecular weight and crystallinity can be produced, allowing the PLA to be modified for a variety of applications.
Bagasse Products: Features and Benefits
Bagasse products can be made from any sustainable and renewable natural material which can be grown and harvested within a one year. Bagasse is the remaining product (pulp) after renewable and sustainable raw materials (Bamboo, Reed Rice, Hemp and Sugarcane) are processed from the fields. Normally, this residue is burned after pulping, thus creating air pollution. However this sugarcane fibre can be re-used to make disposable products to replace products made from plastic or virgin paper. The tableware has no plastic or wax lining applied to it and can be used for both hot and cold items. This tableware has special additives added in the manufacturing process to make the material leak proof. This is a far superior alternative to both plastic (non-biodegradable, petroleum derived, pollution causing) and paper (causing the destruction of millions of acres of forests) tableware.
- Cosmos Eco Friends products use natural sugarcane pulp to produce disposable tableware products.
- 100% Biodegradable and Compostable
- Each food service item is processed through ultra-violet sterilization, thus eliminating all bacterial contamination from the fields. In addition, items are inspected through a metal detector to reject any items containing metal fragments.
- All Sugarcane products are microwavable and fridge safe.
- Cosmos Eco Friends products are manufactured in state of the art facilities. We are environmentally responsible with a small Eco-footprint, and are also socially responsible to our work force.
- Cosmos Eco Friends products are manufactured as per requirements of U.S. and European product certifications, including FDA standards.
- Our Cosmos Eco Friends PLA products comply to the following standards with regard to compostability:
- ASTM D6400 (USA)
- EN 13432 (EU)
- GreenPLA (Japan)
- IS/ISO 17088